Jupiter Lighthouse Construction, Jupiter Island

Inlet Light is located in Jupiter, Florida, on the north side of the Jupiter Inlet. The site for the lighthouse was chosen in 1853.  The lighthouse was designed by Lieutenant George G. Meade of the Bureau of Topographical Engineers.  It was built on an Indian shell mound.  A series of events caused the lighthouse to take longer to be constructed than originally anticipated. Storms caused the silt to build up in the Jupiter Inlet  which forced all building supplies to come down the Indian River in light boats.  Additionally, work was interrupted from 1856 to 1858 by the Third Seminole War. The lighthouse was finally completed in 1860 at a cost of more than $60,000.00. The lighthouse rises 105 feet.  The walls at the base of the tower are 31″ thick and taper to 18″ at the top.  For the first 50 years it was unpainted but over time grew so discolored, it was painted its signature red in 1910.


Jupiter Island Homes For Sale

Jupiter Island Real Estate

For more information, please contact:

Tom Turner
Jupiter Island Specialist
Waterfront Properties & Club Communities
825 Parkway Plaza, Ste. 8, Jupiter, Florida 33477
Office Phone: (561) 746-7272
Mobile Phone: (561) 972-0123
Fax Number: (561) 575-0174

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *